Top Menu

Maria Bonita – Great Mexican Food in Berlin

The sign at Maria Bonita Berlin

Maria Bonita on Danziger Strasse is only big enough for a handful of people to eat at the same time but the food at this tiny Mexican bistro is a real treat.

A lack of good Mexican food in Berlin is one of the biggest culinary gripes in the city, especially amongst the expat crowd.  As an indication of just how bad Mexican food can be here, I once had Fajitas with cabbage in them – a first (and I’m determined a last) for me.

So when friends told me about the quality of the Mexican food at Maria Bonita, I was determined to give it a try.

On both of my visits I’ve had the Puerco Especial Burrito – a large tortilla filled with pork, guacamole, red salsa and Chipotle cream – an abundance of meat with a great balance of flavours for €6.

Puerco Especial Burrito at Maria Bonita Mexican Bistro Berlin

As always, I’d recommend washing it down with a beer – a Berliner Kindl is €2.

If you’d like to know what else is available, check out the Menu here.

This is the best Mexican food I’ve had in Berlin, though for a Californian-style Burrito I would recommend Dolores, which has restaurants in Mitte and Charlottenburg.

Maria Bonita, as mentioned earlier, is a small restaurant – just a kitchen really with a few stools at counters facing the cooking, the street and along the sidewalls (10 or so in total) – though during the summer there are also tables outside on the pavement.

If you’re looking for a larger restaurant, capable of seating larger groups, try Maria Bonita’s sister restaurant, Santa Maria on Oranienstrasse in Kreuzberg.

, , , , ,

14 Responses to Maria Bonita – Great Mexican Food in Berlin

1. digitalcosmonaut 12 December, 2012 at 10:45 am #

best thing to do in the summer is to grab some food from there and take it over to mauerpark and sit on the hill.

• andBerlin 12 December, 2012 at 10:48 am #

Great idea, though I’m not sure I’d have the patience to wait until I got to Mauerpark before I started eating!

• Luci 12 December, 2012 at 7:34 pm #

I prefer to take the food up to Wasserturm hill. Taking along one of their delicious Frozen Mescal Margaritas may keep you distracted long enough from devouring the food along the way.

2. berlincatlady 12 December, 2012 at 11:40 am #

Thank you! I agree, it’s not that easy finding good Mexican places to eat in Berlin.

3. oldworldfrontiers 12 December, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

As an American in Berlin, I definitely feel you on the bizarreness (corn on top of everything! frischkäse galore!) of Mexican/South American options here… I’m skeptical but also excited to give this place a try after the new year!

• andBerlin 13 December, 2012 at 10:08 am #

Let me know what you think of it because opinion on the various Mexican options in Berlin always varies wildly between people. In a discussion on Twitter yesterday after I posted this some people said they loved it and some hated it there.

4. mary 14 December, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Hey, I am neither American nor a lover of Mexican food, but I still have something to say… (sorry).. so, I LOVED Santa Maria when they opened, we went there with a Mexican friend regularly back when they still had that corn stuff in a banana leaf (tamales??) and many other entres. Something happened shortly after that, I don’t know if they didn’t have the courage to continue their concept or the will…? It certainly wasn’t because of a lack of costumers, the tiny shop was packed all the time. But the quality of the food changed, in a negative direction and since then has never improved again. I find the food rather bland I have to admit.

• andBerlin 16 December, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

There’s certainly no need to apologise for having something to say. It’s good to get as many opinions as possible and any tips anyone has to get the best food in Berin. I only wish I had visited Maria Bonita when you enjoyed the food. Considering that I think it’s tasty now, I can only imagine how good it might have been then.

• Red Haircrow (@redhaircrow) 6 April, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

The Santa Maria is maintained by Australian guy, Julian, and Maria Bonita is owned and operated by Trey Wright, two of the original partners in the initial endeavor, but now they are still friendly but totally separate places and directions.

It was a little confusing that you say the “small place” had changed to the negative, (the smaller one is Maria Bonita) but you named Santa Maria, a different restaurant. It’s hoped you’ll give them another try, whichever one you were referring to.

Maria Bonita stays with authentic Mexican recipes as they are produced in Mexico, which may not suit the tastes of those who are used to Mexican “inspired” or based dishes.

5. Josie - about Mexican food 22 January, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

This looks really good!! I went to a Mexican restaurant at Simon Dach Straße this weekend called Mojito and thought it was so delicious as well. I don’t eat that much Mexican usually but now I really want to try out more!

• andBerlin 23 January, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Josie, thanks for the tip. I’ll have to add Mojito to my list of places to try.

6. Maria Bonita Berlin (@MariaBonitaDE) 9 February, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

Thanks for dropping by Maria Bonita, and we hope to see you again soon, as well as the other posters on the thread. We’re on Facebook, Twitter and have a little site here on WordPress also. We appreciate your review! http://mariabonitaberlin.wordpress.com/.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 3,5 Tage in Berlin ← Gilly's playground - 12 August, 2013

[…] 22 Uhr mit Freunden bei Maria Bonita getroffen, um leckere Burritos zu essen und natürlich den […]

2. Die letzte Woche in Bildern (KW 25) | Gilly's playground - 23 June, 2014